Brownson Norby attorneys have represented businesses, corporations, and insurance companies in North Dakota for more than 25 years. During that time, our attorneys have defended hundreds of cases involving:
- Asbestos personal injury
- Toxic exposure cases
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Liquor liability
- Insurance agents in professional liability matters
- Businesses in a variety of litigation matters
Unique, Extensive North Dakota Experience
Kristi Brownson is a native North Dakotan from the state capital, Bismarck. Her family descends from homesteaders from North Dakota territorial days. Her immediate family has been involved in cattle ranching, farming, education and public office. Kristi was a North Dakota State 4-H Ambassador, a statewide elected leadership position charged with training 4-H members throughout North Dakota.
Kristi serves as Portfolio Network Counsel for a group of major property and casualty insurers handling all commercial liability, and insurance-related matters in North Dakota. Kristi has handled cases in all North Dakota Judicial Districts, and has conducted jury trials and an appeal to the North Dakota Supreme Court.
Asbestos Litigation in North Dakota
For 20 years, Tom Norby and Kristi Brownson have been involved in North Dakota asbestos personal injury litigation. They have served as lead counsel for manufacturers and distributors in personal injury and wrongful death asbestos liability claims.
Tom has been extensively involved in North Dakota asbestos litigation where he has litigated hundreds of cases since 1998. Drawing in part upon his North Dakota asbestos litigation experience, Tom has advised several asbestos settlement trusts with respect to claims and historical liability, creating and maintaining a unique asbestos bankruptcy database with more than 200,000 site records from across the county.
Kristi has also handled hundreds of cases since 1995,as National Coordinating Counsel, regional counsel, and trial counsel for manufacturers and distributors of asbestos-containing products. Kristi is also National Litigation Counsel for the API, Inc. Asbestos Settlement Trust, an asbestos bankruptcy settlement trust established by the United States Bankruptcy Court in Minneapolis, where she oversees and manages litigation on behalf of the Trust.
North Dakota Insurance Coverage Litigation
We represent insurers in North Dakota coverage disputes involving first-party commercial and individual lines, and third-party disputes involving personal and commercial general liability insurance, including:
- First party personal insurance coverage
- Third party commercial general liability insurance coverage
- Insurance fraud
- Primary/excess coverage issues
- Multi-year, long-term exposure coverage allocation issues
- Insurance coverage arbitrations
- Insurance policy exhaustion procedures and disputes
- AAA Neutral, AAA Panel of Arbitrators; American Arbitration Association
- Stat e of Bar of North Dakota (SBAND)
- Represented TCI Insurance Agency, Inc. in a professional liability insurance agency case, in APM, LLLP v. TCI Insurance Agency, Inc., in Cass County, North Dakota District Court, Case No. 09-2014-CV-12885, where summary judgment was obtained.
- Represented the Radisson Hotel in an innkeeper negligence case in Jeffrey Wotzka v. Minndakota Limited Partnership, d/b/a Radisson Hotel Bismarck, Burleigh County, North Dakota District Court, Case No. 08-2011-CV-01867, where a favorable jury verdict was obtained, resulting in dismissal of all claims and award of costs.
- Represented Pembina County Memorial Hospital in action alleging federal HIPAA violations in Janet Phelps v. Pembina County Memorial Hospital, United States District Court, District of North Dakota, Northeastern Division, File No. 2:05-cr-65. Obtained dismissal of HIPAA claim, finding no private right of action under HIPAA, and dismissal without prejudice of employment claims for lack of federal subject matter or supplemental jurisdiction.
- Represented Black Gold Farms in a personal injury action involving motor vehicle accident with serious and permanent injuries in Steven Shelquist v. Black Gold Farms, et al., County of Kidder, North Dakota District Court, Case No. 04-C-53, where summary judgment was obtained.
Presentations and Publications
- Current and Historical American and Selected State Asbestos Regulations, 2015 Update, Brownson Norby, PLLC, 2015, Robert D. Brownson and Kristi K. Brownson
- The Price of Asbestos Litigation Today, Hamline University School of Law Spring Symposium March, 2008, Thomas J. Norby
- eDiscovery… Not Just for Nerds Anymore, Defense Research Institute (DRI), February, 2007, Thomas J. Norby
Brownson Norby, PLLC attorneys Kristi K. Brownson and Aaron M. Simon have published an article in the April 5, 2016 edition of he Minnesota Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers (MIIAB) newsletter, titled, " North Dakota Supreme Court Issues Important Decision Clarifying Standard of Care of Insurance Agents." In the article, Kristi and Aaron reviewed the March 15, 2016 decision by Continue Reading
Brownson Norby, PLLC partner Kristi K. Brownson has secured a major victory in the North Dakota Supreme Court. In its March 15, 2016 ruling in APM, LLLP v. TCI Insurance Agency, Inc., 2016 ND 66, the North Dakota Supreme Court affirmed a summary judgment ruling previously obtained by Brownson Norby on behalf of its client, TCI Insurance Agency, Inc., and ordered that Continue Reading
Brownson Norby, PLLC partner Kristi K. Brownson won a major decision from the North Dakota Supreme Court. In its March 15, 2016 ruling in APM, LLLP v. TCI Insurance Agency, Inc., 2016 ND 66, the North Dakota Supreme Court affirmed a summary judgment ruling previously obtained by Brownson Norby on behalf of its client, TCI Insurance Agency, Inc., and ordered Continue Reading
Brownson Norby, PLLC partner, Kristi K. Brownson, has successfully obtained the complete dismissal of Brownson Norby, PLLC client TCI Insurance Agency, Inc. of Fargo, North Dakota in a case venued in the Cass County, North Dakota, District Court. In the case of APM, LLLP v. TCI Insurance Agency, Inc., (Case No. 09-2014-CV-02885), Judge Wade D. Webb on July 23, 2015 granted summary Continue Reading
Following her victory on a jury trial in Burleigh County, North Dakota, Brownson Norby, PLLC partner Kristi K. Brownson obtained an Order dated October 20, 2014, from District Judge Bruce B. Haskell, overruling objections by the Plaintiff, and awarding trial costs to her client. the Radisson Hotel, Bismarck, for costs as the prevailing party at the trial, as provided by Continue Reading
Following a jury trial in Burleigh County, North Dakota, Brownson Norby, PLLC partner Kristi K. Brownson has obtained a defense verdict on behalf of her client Minndakota Limited Partnership, doing business as Radisson Hotel, Bismarck. The trial involved a personal injury claim against the Radisson Hotel in Bismarck by a hotel guest who claimed he was seriously injured at the hotel. Continue Reading
Brownson Norby, PLLC is pleased to announce that Kristi K. Brownson has obtained Orders from the Cass County, North Dakota, District Court granting summary judgment dismissing Brownson Norby, PLLC clients as Defendants in a series of asbestos personal injury cases. Separate Orders were entered on June 4, 2014 by Judge Steven L. Marquart dismissing claims on the following bases; Market Share, Continue Reading