As a skilled litigator and counselor, Tom’s expertise is in litigation management, regulatory compliance, and disputes. He helps businesses and insurance companies improve their bottom line by avoiding litigation through early assessment and detection of anomalies, and by providing predictability and innovative advice.
Over the span of 30 years, Tom has perfected his command of strategic case management and effective dispute resolution in:
- regulatory compliance and disputes: tobacco products, herbal supplements, workplace safety
- toxic tort and exposure: asbestos, silica, paper mills, industrial noise
- civil litigation and management: personal injury, breach of contract, insurance coverage, consumer fraud
He is adept at detecting anomalies to puzzle out where a case is and where it needs to go, and managing all of the pieces necessary for strategic execution. He is then able to educate and counsel clients on how to use his findings in the most focused, effective way to either avoid litigation altogether or to improve their defense strategy for a competitive advantage.
Clients can expect integrity, loyalty, and consideration when working with Tom. He is never too busy to pick up the phone when you call. He develops trusting relationships and is dedicated to knowing his clients’ businesses.
Regulatory Compliance and Disputes
Tom represents business owners as well as product manufacturers, distributors, and retailers in state and federal regulatory matters. He works with companies to create value and competitive advantage by tracking and coordinating compliance efforts in many areas, including tobacco products, herbal supplements, and workplace safety. Tom successfully advocates company and industry positions in disputes concerning labelling, packaging, sales, and premarket approval with state and federal agencies such as FDA, DEA, and OSHA.
Toxic Tort and Exposure
Tom represents businesses and bankruptcy trusts nationwide in toxic injury cases arising from exposure to asbestos, silica, and industrial noise, as well as claims arising from the use or consumption of tobacco products and herbal supplements. He provides direct representation in Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin, and is connected to trusted lawyers across the country who provide managed, coordinated representation at local levels as needed.
Civil Litigation and Management
Tom has successfully litigated and managed thousands of personal injury claims against local and national businesses across the United States. He has prosecuted and defended commercial claims for breach of contract, insurance coverage, and consumer fraud. Tom has designed and managed cost- effective custom information systems to track claims, discovery, and litigation in complex litigation.
- Minnesota (1987)
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota (1989)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin (1996)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin (1998)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2009)
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (1993)
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals (2012)
- J.D., cum laude, Hamline University School of Law (1987)
- B.A., St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN (1983)
- Clerk to the Honorable Thomas G. Forsberg of the Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Senior law clerk to the Honorable Randolph W. Peterson of the Minnesota Court of Appeals
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
*AV® is a certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
- Ramsey County Bar Association (RCBA)
- In the Matter of FDA Detention Order 1130 (2015).
- In Re: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation (MDL 875) (E.D. Pa).
- In re Ephedra Product Liability Litigation 314 F.Supp.2d 1373 (J. P. N. L. 2004).
- NVE Inc. v. Dept. of Health & Human Servs., 436 F.3d 182, 186 (3d Cir.2006).
- Tuttle v. Lorillard Tobacco Co., 377 F.3d 917 (8th Cir. 2004).
- Nicotine Exposure Warnings and Child-Resistant Packaging for Liquid Nicotine, Nicotine-Containing E-Liquid(s), and Other Tobacco Products. Docket No. FDA-2015-N-1514, RIN 0910-AH24 (2015).
- Indiana E-Liquid Statute and Regulations – (compliance).
- California Proposition 65 – (product warnings).
- California Attorney General - (age verification).
- New York Attorney General - (child safety packaging)
- Regulatory Law Summary, Brownson Norby, PLLC, 2018